Glenrothes Whisky – Launch John Ramsay Legacy Bottling
Glenrothes Whisky – Launch John Ramsay Legacy Bottling (as Malt Master retires)
His final gift Glenrothes Whisky – John Ramsay Legacy bottling. This is a non-Vintage selection of 30 casks personally chosen by John to create an impressive single malt in celebration of his longstanding relationship with the Speyside distillery. The casks are all 2nd fill American Oak sherry casks from Vintages ranging from 1973 to 1987.
Bursting with aromas of spice, blood orange and vanilla, this limited edition single malt has a rich palate of fruit and mango with a long, mature unmistakably American oak finish. Only 100 bottles of this Legacy bottling (46.7% abv) are available in the UK.
John Ramsay, Malt Master for The Edrington Group, says: “My signature and tasting notes have been on each and every label of The Glenrothes since 2004. This final bottling has given me a wonderful opportunity to craft a single malt which embodies the exceptional quality and distinctive style of The Glenrothes and I am truly delighted with the result.”
Since joining The Edrington Group in 1991, John Ramsay has held the esteemed position of overseeing the quality of the Group’s whisky portfolio, including The Glenrothes’ Vintages and non-Vintage Select Reserve.
Ronnie Cox, Global Brand Ambassador for The Glenrothes, says: “John Ramsay’s outstanding efforts have resulted in a fine selection of The Glenrothes Vintages, each with their own and unique personality. In 2005, John also created a house style non-Vintage single malt that truly typifies the character of The Glenrothes distillery with ripe fruits, citrus, vanilla and hints of spice. In creating The Glenrothes Select Reserve, John has enabled us to make our single malt more accessible to whisky lovers around the world.
“With the John Ramsay Legacy bottling, he continues to impress. As with all expressions of The Glenrothes, this limited edition should be shared with likeminded friends. Together with everyone at the distillery, I would like to raise a toast to John for his exceptional contribution to The Glenrothes single malt and the legacy he leaves us with.”
Each 70cl bottle of the John Ramsay Legacy limited edition is individually numbered and beautifully presented in a bespoke oak box designed to showcase the rare single malt. A booklet scripted by John Ramsay, including tasting notes, is also kept in a hidden drawer at the base of the box.
The Glenrothes John Ramsay Legacy bottling is available from the start of October at specialist retailers across the UK and on The Glenrothes website www.theglenrothes.com (RRP £699).
Notes to editors:
Tasting notes for The Glenrothes: John Ramsay:
Appearance: Medium golden, clear and bright
Bouquet: Rich, spicy, blood orange and vanilla
Palate: Rich, full flavour, balanced oak and fruit, mango
Finish: Long, mature and tactile, unmistakably American oak
About The Glenrothes.
The Glenrothes is also available in a limited range of Vintages. Rare and finite, Vintages are selected on their own unique personality and include Vintages 1978, 1985, 1991 and 1994. The Glenrothes Select Reserve is a non-Vintage specific selection and typifies the distillery house character of ripe fruits, citrus, vanilla and hints of spice.
* The Glenrothes was founded in 1879
* Little more than 2% of the distillery capacity is bottled as Single Malt to ensure exceptional quality
* Of the 16 Vintages released to date, 12 have entirely sold out
* It is matured in a combination of Spanish and American oak casks – the best of both worlds
* The Glenrothes Select Reserve was voted Best in Class at the World Whiskies Awards 2008 and won two Double Golds at The San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2007
* The Glenrothes 1978 Vintage was voted Best Speyside Single Malt at the World Whiskies Awards 2008
* The Glenrothes 1975 won a Double Gold award at The San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2008
* “I have always felt that Glenrothes deserved to be more widely appreciated. Beautifully rounded.sophisticated after-dinner malt.” Michael Jackson’s Malt Whisky Companion
* Jim Murray, in his Whisky Bible 2007, refers to The Glenrothes Select Reserve; “One of the softest deliveries on Speyside, the silky barley and citrus caress the tastebuds with rare tenderness” and scores it 24 out of 25
About John Ramsay
• John Ramsay was born in Glasgow in 1949 and educated to Licentiate of the Royal Society of Chemistry.
• John joined the Scotch whisky industry in 1966, working in the laboratory at Strathclyde Distillery.
• John is a member of the judging panel for the International Spirits Challenge and became Chairman of the Scotch whisky judges in 2003.
• He is a visiting lecturer on Scotch whisky at the Université des Eaux de Vie – the spirits university near Cognac in France.
• John is married with no children, and enjoys golf, music and reading, particularly Scottish history and Robert Burns poetry.
John Ramsay CV
• 1966, Lab Assistant, Strathclyde Distillery
• 1971, Chief Chemist, Wm. Lawson Distillers
• 1981, Blender/Chemist, Wm. Lawson Distillers
• 1990, Production Controller, Highland Distilleries
• 1991, Group Whisky Quality Manager and Master Blender, The Edrington Group
About Gordon Motion
· Gordon Motion was born in Edinburgh in 1969 and gained a degree in Computer Science from Herriot Watt university.
· In 1991 he decided on a career change and went back to study a Brewing and Distilling course from 1992-93.
· Gordon is actively involved with the Scotch Whisky Research Institute’s technical liaison groups and was a previous secretary of the International Brewers’ Guild (Scottish Section).
· Gordon is a keen sportsman and has represented Scotland at small-bore target shooting for the past eight years winning eight Scottish caps and one for Great Britain.
Gordon Motion CV
· 1993-1998 – Employed by a number of breweries including Mount Murray (Isle of Man); Tom Hoskin’s (Leicester) and Belhaven (Dunbar) before becoming Assistant Malster with Paul Malt Glenesk Maltings (Montrose)
· Feb 1998, Assistant to Whisky Quality Manager, The Edrington Group
· June 1998, Whisky Quality Technologist, The Edrington Group
· March 2007, Master Blender Designate, The Edrington Group