Whiskey Recipes – Roast Venison with Juniper Sauce
Roast Venison with Juniper Sauce.
50 minutes plus 2 hrs marinating
For the Venison, Whisky Boys would recommend you visit (www.venisondirect.co.uk) to purchase quality Venison at a discounted price:
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 4 sprigs fresh thyme
* 4 tbsp olive oil
* 400g venison loin
* A good measure of Malt Whisky. The Whisky Boys would choose a good sweet dram like an Aberlour 10 Year Old Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky.
For the Juniper Sauce
* 8 juniper berries
* 350ml dry red wine ( a good quality Merlot would do nicely )
* 1 pinch Chinese 5 spice
* 600ml beef stock
* 40g cold butter
1. Place the venison in a bowl and add the garlic, thyme, oil and a good measure of the Aberlour Single Malt. Cover with cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge for two hours.
2. Crush the juniper berries with a the flat side of a knife blade and place in a pan with the red wine and five spice powder – cook down over a moderate heat until reduced by half.
3. Add the beef stock and reduce by half again. Strain the sauce and set aside.
5. Set the oven to 180C/gas 4. Heat a large, heavy-based saucepan, and fry the venison and crushed garlic from the marinade, until browned on all sides. Transfer to the oven and cook for 12 minutes – turning the meat over, halfway through its cooking time. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for five minutes – this standing time helps keep the meat juicy and easy to carve.
6. While the venison is resting, warm the sauce and stir in the butter. Serve the venison on a bed vegetables of your choice, drizzled with the juniper sauce.
7. Ensure you have a wee dram of the Aberlour sitting next to you while you enjoy your meal.
Remember if you do visit Venison Direct, please let them know it was the Whisky Boys that sent you.