Whisky Glazed Carrots and Parsnips
Carrots and parsnips with a Whisky Glaze
1. 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter
2. 1/2 cup Whisky ( a good one for this would be 12 Year Old Glenlivet)
3. 1/4 cup light brown sugar
4. 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
5. 1 pound tender young parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
6. Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter with the Whisky and brown sugar. Stir in the carrots and parsnips. Press a round of parchment paper directly onto the vegetables. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook over moderate heat until the vegetables are tender and the liquid is almost evaporated, 15 minutes. Uncover and cook, tossing, until the vegetables are coated in a thick syrup, 1 to 2 minutes. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and serve.
Great with steak pie or any good stew or even a good venison steak, delicious.