Whiskey Recipes – Smokey Haggis, Mushroom and Whisky Pie
Whiskey Recipes – Smokey Haggis, Mushroom and Whisky Pie.
1 tbsp oil
1 onion, finely diced
250 g smoked bacon, diced
250 g button mushrooms, sliced
454 g haggis ( from your favourite butcher)
150 ml chicken stock
4 tbsp Scotch whisky (we would recommend a peaty/smokey Single Malt)
500 g pack fresh short crust pastry
beaten egg or milk to glaze
* Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and bacon and cook for 6 – 8 minutes until golden.
* Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 – 3 minutes.
* Remove the haggis from the casing, slice and stir into the bacon mixture with the stock and whisky.
* Cook for 2 – 3 minutes then allow the mixture to cool.
* Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6.
* Cut the pastry in half and roll out one portion on a lightly floured surface and use to line a round pie tin or plate approximately 23 cm in diameter.
* Spoon the cooled haggis mixture into the centre.
* Roll out the remaining pastry and use to top the pie, moistening the edges to ensure a complete seal.
* Use pastry trimmings to decorate the pie.
* Brush with beaten egg or milk to glaze and bake in the preheated oven for approximately 35 minutes, until golden.
* Delicious served with mashed potatoes and swede – ‘Neeps and Tatties’, or other mashed vegetables such as carrots or celeriac.
Well written article.