Islay Malt Whisky & Music Festival 2009
From Saturday 23rd – Saturday 30th May 2009
Islay Malt Whisky & Music Festival 2009 – this again will be my highlight of the Whisky tasting festivals of the year.
Unfortunately I missed this festival last year due to various commitments, but I was there in May 2007, and what a great time we all had.
Some of the highlights of the 2007 Islay Whisky Festival were:
- Cutting of the first sod for the resurrection of the Port Charlotte distillery (which is owned and run by Bruichladdich).
- The fantastic hospitality at both Buichladdich and Bunnahabhain distilleries.
- Sitting on Bunnahabhain Pier eating fresh oysters from Loch Gruniard and sprayed with a fine malt Whisky from our hosts.
- The piper and drummers of “Celtic Spirit” were out of this world , they even played on the ferry over from the mainland.
- Every pub, hotel, restaurant and town hall had something on every day relating to either music or Whisky.
- All the distilleries had there day, and I must say that some distilleries had better hospitality than others. (I will give you the top 5 list later)
- Walking the streets of Port Charlotte or Bowmore at night and listening to the music and joviality together with the haunting smell of peat from the fires in many of the houses.
- Going to Portnahaven and Port Wemyys, one of the most beautiful parts of the Island, sitting with a small malt and watching the seals at play in the clear Islay water while the small fishing boats come in and out
everyone is happy, what a week,
Please tell the WhiskyBoys if you know of any other Whisky festivals that are a must attend…..