Lidl – Three New Single Malts

In the middle of last month I was invited to Lidl’s Pick of Scotland event held at the Lighthouse in Glasgow and this event included the launch of three new single malt Whiskies.

Lidl’s new Scotch Single Malts are, a Speyside, a Highland and an Islay. Each of them selling for £17.49 for a 70 cl bottle. All have been bottled at 40% Alc/vol. With no age statement.

At the Glasgow event I was able to have a wee sip of each of the new expressions. Also on show was a fabulous range of Scottish products from Steak to smoked salmon to ales and vegetables, so I was glad to see Lidl promoting such a wide range of Scottish food and drink.

Back to the Single Malts.

Paul McQuade, head of Lidl’s Scottish  buying team, “We’re incredibly proud of our whisky range and with World Whisky Day approaching this is the perfect time to release our new range of Ben Bracken single malt Scotches.“

My tasting notes and thoughts.

Ben Bracken Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky
A very typical Speyside, light and sweet, quite lavish with nutty fruit flavours, apple, pear, vanilla spice, mouthfeel is creamy, a medium finish where I found a little oakiness  and toffee.
This is such an easy dram to sip, light and quite delicate, must be an aperitif.

Ben Bracken Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Now this is so different from the Speyside, I have some fruitcake flirting with a touch of heather, cereal and honey, quite nutty with the slightest whiff of floral smoke, we have a wee bit of syrupy indulgence, a lot is happening in my glass. A longer finish than the Speyside.

This is a little more complex, so pour yourself a glass after a hard day at work.

Ben Bracken Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Now for the Islay. The first sip tells me a lot, this cannot be confused with anything other than an Islay Single Malt, the BBQ is on and the seared gammon is going well, but next to the gammon are some scallops and langoustines, this BBQ is on Loch Indaal beach with a whisp of sea spray, peat smoke is all around, we also have dark chocolate someone has opened a first aid box, enjoying this dram next to some rock pools and dried seaweed on the rocks.

This one is fairly complex, its complete character unfolding gradually, it finishes with warming peat and smoke lingering on the palate.
This Dram is by far the best of the three, well done to all who selected these single malts especially to those that picked the Islay.

To all the readers do not hesitate to go and try these drams  value for money with no loss in flavour or style.

You may also like...

9 Responses

1. Carol Andrew says:

I have just tasted a dram of the speyside, expecting an Islay , as thatbids what I was expecting ….I live on Islay, my sisters shopping is obviously not up to much, but I am enjoying the subtle tang of this dram,a very enjoyable tasting!

2. Carol Andrew says:

I have just tasted a dram of the speyside, expecting an Islay , as that what I was what I had asked for…I live on Islay, my sisters shopping is obviously not up to much, but I am enjoying the subtle tang of this dram,a very enjoyable tasting! It just goes to show that I need to widen my tastes!

3. James says:

I actually bought the Ben Bracken Speyside malt in Lidl’s supermarket in Mijas for €10 a bottle (£9). I could hardly believe it. It is pretty good value in Scottish branches at £17.50, so I got one of the bargains of the year.

4. Bought bottle Ben Bracken (Speyside) lovely whisky.Once finished will definitely try the other two.Well done “Lidl ” someone has done their sums correctly

5. Roger.l. Blease says:

I bought a bottle of ” Ben Bracken Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky ” as a pick me up for my wife who was suffering from a heavy cold, she said it tasted worse than her medication, I tried it and it did, it tasted like iodine. DISGUSTING stuff.

6. Bill Rawcliffe says:

Ben Bracken is not a distillery on Islay, so Lidl are probably legally wrong in their statement!

My favourite Islay is Ardbeg, but Lagavulin and Laphroaig make some attempts to equal it, but at a major distance.

Other Islay distilleries are Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain (but, in my opinion, this is not a typical Islay malt), Caol Ila, Gartbreck, Kilchoman, Port Charlotte and Post Ellen Maltings.

7. Ivor Biggun says:

There are no Ben Bracken distilleries in Speyside or the Highlands either. Take a moment to think before you post Mr Rawcliffe.

8. Dave Smith says:

Seems that Roger bought his islay whisky expecting something to taste like whisky *not* *from* *islay*. It has been a while since I’ve tried their islay, but it wasn’t that dissimilar to whisky typical of islay. I’ve only had laphroaig, lagavulin and bowmore, but these smoky, medicinal flavours are what you’d expect of islay. It is a complex, acquired taste, and the lidl example has positive reviews from people who know and appreciate islay whisky

9. Jooboy says:

That’s not how it works..
    Anyone can bottle a whiskey from an Islay distillery..
    Aldis Glen Marnoch is Laphroaig and I am told that Ben Bracken is a young Bowmore..
    Just as Berry Bros and Rudd are not a distillery..but they definitely sell their bottles of Islay Whisky